Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Nature of Nature

"I only have a few thoughts tonight, because I have spent most of my day with a friend, and when you do that, your time and attention are compressed into that close association. With me, there is no other world, no space, no other time, no place beyond where we are at, together.

"We were not in the same room, and yet, we were... she was physically hundreds of miles from me, but she could have just as easily been ten thousand, or ten. In my mind this was not relevant, because our spirits clashed and touched and moved together through words along a fiber-optic network, in instants, for hours, and we did not want to leave this linkage until the incessant tick of time and responsiblities (and weariness) made it so.

"She takes pictures (mainly) and I write words (poorly) and together we stumble along searching, as I guess we all do, for what is real and true and dependable. We would like to say that Nature is that way, but of course she has never been, and will never be. Real, yes. True? perhaps, though she also can deceive and mislead you... usually when you think you have her ways decoded. Dependable? Well, you can depend on her to be unpredictable! That's all.

"After discussing things of this nature (no pun intended) my friend from far away and I drew closer to each other and yet no closer to the soul of Nature than we were before, but not through any failing of our own. Einstein once said 'you can't pick the mind of God.' In this case, you can't fool or figure out Mother Nature completely either!

"Should we try? Well, of course we should! So long as we realize the mysteries that she conceals will always outnumber the ones she graciously reveals. It is in OUR nature to wonder and struggle and admire and praise and curse when we confront what Nature hands us. That's what makes life...in our time and space and world and place... Life."

10 comments:

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

Thank you to Andree in Vermont for inspiring this piece. Nite, A!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Nicely considered and expressed.

I'd like to see more cogitations on the nature of nature and our relationships with nature in this space.

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

I'm just sorry I've been so busy and not able to contribute more than I have...I'm going to try to do better at that in the future, Mary...

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

That was not meant as a reprimand--I'm busy too! But just a little touch of wishful thinking.

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

Oh, I know, Mary...it was just my way of saying that being a contributor, I should maybe contribute more... I didn't think of your comment as any sort of a reprimand...that didn't enter my head at all! The thing with me right now is too many irons in the fire, and that's my own fault, but things should settle down soon... I hope! Thanks for your nice comments here and on EinP! And on Nerd Shots, too! And everywhere else... boy, do you get around!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I got too many irons in the fire too--by a LONG shot! Aiee!

bluerose said...

Beautiful post! You do not write words poorly. Your words make me think about things that are usually taken for granted.

And Mary... I don't know how you do it. I'm in awe.

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

Blue, I put a link to you in "Everything in Particular" under "Other Blogs To Visit". I called the link "Lori in Texas" to fit my format. Hope you don't mind. It just makes it very convenient for ME to jump to your site!!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

AK! I get overwhelmed!

Michael Serafin-St. John said...

Oh, well, whatcha gonna do...I put TWO links to YOU Mary... take that!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin