Friday, June 26, 2009

News and Views.

Weird people come in all flavors, and I guess I'm one of them, officially, because I was told so by a young fellow (about 25) named Walker, who lives in an apartment overlooking mine.

Walker wandered across the parking lot last evening to ask me what I was up to.

"Fixing this table," I replied. "It has a broken leg."

"What for?" the young man wanted to know. (Walker has informed me that he is an unemployed construction worker, by the way. He came over once before and inquired if "I had any work for him". What he meant was, any money... I had plenty of suggestions on things for him to do, constructive things, but what he wanted was a paycheck.)

"Well," I tried explaining, "when something is broken, I just figure, well, fix it."

"I don't see the point to that," Walker informed me. "What's with it with you? You bored? You must be bored doing stupid s--- like that."

"Oh, I'm definitely not bored, " I told him. "Are you?"

"Oh, I just have a need for socializing," Walker said, draining down the last of the can of Coor Light beer he'd brought with him. "You know, the people over my building call you 'Tinkerer.' "

"Is that so?" I responded, working a new dowel into the table leg to fix the glue joint.

"Don't you have a social life?" he demanded lmowing.

It was an accusation. I put down my tools and looked him in the eye. "Not with you."

1 comment:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

human nature. The guy sounds judgmental.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin